Tax Actions this year created a calendar for Americans living abroad to make it easier to remember the most important deadlines for US taxes considering their filing status.
- April 18, 2022:
Americans filing from overseas don’t have to file in April like Americans living in the States, but if you do owe any US tax, for example, if you’re a higher earner who lives in a country with lower income tax rates than the US, or if you’re a freelancer, then you’ll need to make a payment by April 18 this year, as April 15, 2022, is a holiday in Washington DC.
- June 15, 2022:
Is the tax filing deadline for Americans living abroad to file their 2021 unless you request an extension by filing Form 4868 to the IRS online.
- October 17, 2022:
If you request an extension, you will have until October 17 to file your US taxes this year, as October 15, 2022, falls on a Saturday.
2022 US Expat Tax Calendar
– Tuesday 01/18/22 4th and final installment of individual quarterly estimated taxes.
– Monday 01/24/22 IRS E-file Opening Date.
– Tuesday 03/15/22 S-Corp and LLC Tax Returns Due.
– Tuesday 03/15/22 Trust/Foreign Trusts Tax Returns Due.
– Monday 04/18/22 File 6-month extension if residing within the US.
– Monday 04/18/22 Interest will accrue from this date if taxes are due.
– Monday 04/18/22 Individual tax return due if residing within the US.
– Monday 04/18/22 C-Corp Tax Returns Due.
– Monday 04/18/22 1st installment of individual estimated taxes for the current year.
– Wednesday 06/15/22 File extension to October 15th if residing outside the US.
– Wednesday 06/15/22 Individual tax return due if residing outside the US.
– Wednesday 06/15/22 Individual deadline to pay tax due & avoid failure to pay penalty; interest will still have accrued however from 4/18/22.
– Wednesday 06/15/22 2nd installment of estimated taxes due for the current year.
– Thursday 09/15/22 Extended filing deadline for S-Corp and Partnership Returns.
– Thursday 09/15/22 Extended filing deadline for trusts.
– Thursday 09/15/22 3rd installment of estimated taxes due for the current year.
– Monday 10/17/22 Extended filing deadline for individual and C-Corp US tax returns.
– Monday 10/17/22 The final due date for FBAR (automatic extension).
– Monday 10/17/22 All 12/15/22 secondary extension requests for taxpayers outside the US must be postmarked no later than the end of the day.
– Mid-November IRS e-file shutdown.
– Thursday 12/15/22 Final date to timely file extended tax return for taxpayers outside the US assuming paper mailed extension request was postmarked by 10/17/22.