Do I need to file if I live outside the U.S.?

The U.S. government requires that every U.S. Person files their taxes on an annual bases on their world-wide income, not just the income they earned in the United States. This includes those U.S. Persons living in the U.S. or the expats.

A U.S. Person is one of these:

  • A U.S. citizen
  • A green card holder
  • A firm organized under the laws of the U.S.

How is filing from outside the U.S. different?

The process of preparing and filing your expat US Taxes taxes is very similar to filing the US Taxes when you reside in US, however the expat’s US Tax Return includes several different forms that such as the IRS Form 2555, Foreign Income Exclusion and FBAR as well as the IRS Form 1116 – (Foreign Tax Credit).

For most of our clients reporting the forms accurately results in no tax liabilities which means you expect not to pay any taxes at all, you just need to be sure you are filing the expat tax forms correctly.

Can I file my taxes on my own?

Absolutely, however we do not recommend it. Even experienced CPAs in the U.S. have a hard time preparing and filing expat taxes because of all the different exclusions, deductions and country-specific regulations related to the paid foreign taxes.

There are a lot of small details related to filing your income from outside US. To get the best possible tax position and deductions you should use a service that is:

  1. Backed by the knowledge and experience of CPAs and Tax Attorneys.
  2. Has specialized services and experience working on U.S. expat taxation.

I didn’t know and haven’t filed in years! What do I do now?

This is a common issue with U.S. expats, especially those who have not lived in the United States for long. Luckily, the IRS provides several programs to reach a compromise with U.S. persons who are not in compliance.

This is a common issue with U.S. expats, especially those who have not lived in the United States for long. Luckily, the IRS provides several programs such as Streamlined Process (SLP) to comply and avoid all related criminal and financial penalties as U.S. persons reside abroad and did not file US Taxes and FBAR for several years.

DO NOT contact the IRS first!

Contact a firm to represent you, whether it is our firm or another firm, to get you on track with your compliance. You can click here to read all about the Streamlined Filing Package.


If you want to find out what your current situation is with the IRS, Tax Actions will provide you a FREE Tax Account Analysis Reports that cover up to 10 years of all your information in your IRS account, such as IRS Notice, Penalties, and more.

Click the button below and fill the form. No Fees!



Filing US taxes can be done by you; however, “Tax Actions” does more than just file your taxes: With “Tax Actions” online, simple intake forms and file sharing, our experienced tax professionals, including Tax Attorneys, CPAs and Enrolled Agents will file your taxes and deal with the IRS and other government agencies on your behalf at no additional cost to you!


The privacy of your information is part of our core values! Only you and those you authorize will have access to your files. Our practice of preventing unauthorized access of your files to include the use, disclosure, modification, inspection, recording or destruction of your information is second to none!


Your “Tax Actions” tax advisor is here for you. We not only file your taxes, we guide you through the process. Also, you will receive an annual Tax Account Analysis Report, that cover up to 10 years of IRS account transcript, US Tax Account Summary US Tax Account Red Flags, IRS Examinations, IRS Filed Liens, IRS Notices, IRS Payment History, and IRS Assessed Penalties. You are entitled to a free consultation to answer your questions and tax planning. SIMPLY, schedule your consultation now”


“We file it, we own it”. Our tax professionals have the level of expertise and experience that you deserve. You provide us with the required information – we are responsible for the accuracy of your filing. Based on the information we receive from you, we guaranty the accuracy of your tax filings, and we totally represent you with the IRS and any other government agency with no additional cost.