As a US Citizen or a Green Card Holder reside outside the United States in a country that cost you taxers on all of your earned income within this country, you may be qualified to take a tax credit to offset your US tax liabilities based on the tax treaty between the country you live in and United States of America.

  • What information you need to complete your form 1116
    • You must pay a foreign tax liability
    • The paid foreign tax must be related to an earned income or investment in the foreign country
  • What are your foreign tax credit options?
    • Paid taxes to your resident foreign country deduction on your current year taxes
    • if no US Tax liabilities, the paid foreign taxes will be carried forward up to 10 years
  • Paid Foreign Taxes Currency
    • Amount paid in US Dollars
    • Amount of taxes paid in the local currency of the country of residence
    • Foreign Tax Credit Limit
      • The amount if Foreign tax Credit can not exceed the amount of taxes paid in the foreign country in the same year
      • Other limits apply such as paid foreign taxes related to dividends, interests related to financial service income, taxes paid related to 10% or more ownership of foreign corporation or partnership…etc.
      • Foreign Tax Credit can not be sued with any income already excluded by the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Check the form 1116 Sample below to better understand.

Having hard time dealing with the foreign tax credit and want to ensure that is done accurately and to avoid IRS audit, please allow Tax Actions CPA’s’ take over and deliver you a peace of mind!!!

Start Now

Share via
Send this to a friend